Sunday 1 June 2014

Renovation Week

 

   And what a relaxing week that was. As it was still a holiday here, there was no school,  therefore I still haven't started teaching, but instead had the opportunity to help refurbish the school in my village, Penestanan. The week was spent rotating shifts with the other volunteers, and spending time at the school repainting classrooms, scraping floors, sanding and varnishing desks and benches, and putting everything back together looking brand new. It wasn't anything strenuous, but it was fulfilling, having the chance to give back to this village that so kindly and happily welcomes us to live here. All of our teaching placements are at schools in other villages, so this was a good change.


 

 



     Apart from spending a few hours most days working at the school, I got out and explored the town of Ubud further, and spent some time by the pool at a hotel around the corner a number of us go to.
Big news for the week, my host family's dog, Inka, had her puppy! She has been pregnant since I arrived and finally gave birth on Wednesday night. We are all a bit suspicious as to what happened to the rest of the litter, but instead of dwelling on it, I have spent every day soaking up the preciousness of the little one, and helping Inka in any way I can - bringing her bowls of water, food, etc. She has created a little nest under a stack of shelves in the area of the compound where all the caged roosters live, and has been a very attentive mummy.
 

    I rented myself a scooter on Friday night, and subsequently started a bit of a trend in my house, as three other girls picked up scooters for the weekend as well. We went on a little adventure Saturday, zooming up and down the streets of Ubud, plus making a lunch stop for Mexican food. We were quite the sight on the road, all in a line, and I felt like a mother duck with her little ducklings. Everyone following behind me (as if I knew where I was going....) and asking various questions about their scooters (as if I knew what I was talking about...). Only kidding, I have become very comfortable on my scooter, and feel like I know this city very well already. I have finally got a solid grasp on my sense of direction. A bit different when there's no body of water, or free-standing tower to help you out!

    Sunday afternoon, 4 of us set off on another adventure to northern Ubud. After telling the girls about the rice paddy terraces I had been to with Nick 2 weeks ago, a few of them wanted to check them out. With Mel and Natalia on one scooter and Alex on the back of mine, we headed north about 25 minutes before hitting the area of Tegalalang and the unmissable terraces. It was nice being back to see the beautiful area and appreciate the hard work that goes into keeping up the various farm plots that make up the famous terraces. Following a quick lunch and some 'ooo-ing' and 'ahh-ing,' we were back on our scooters heading along the scenic drive to Ganung Kawi.

   
    Ganung Kawi is the 'Angkor Wat' of Bali that Nick and I had tried getting to but got so lost along the way, that by the time we arrived, it was well past closed. Not this time! Encountering only one wrong turn on the way, but noticing it very quickly before turning around, we made it to the temple! I was so elated when we turned onto the road to the temple, I literally cheered out loud, to everyone else's amusement. Was it ever worth it. The temple was breathtaking! Stairs led us far down into a valley, through rice fields, until we reached the bottom and were suddenly exposed to massive carved-rock walls, hidden temples, waterfalls, and stairs that led to secret places. The area was vast and we tried our best to follow every trail there was even if it led to a dead end. The Temple itself was fairly quiet, which was nice. It didn't feel too littered with tourists, which made for an overall more peaceful experience.

 
    First day of teaching tomorrow....finally! Stay tuned.

XOXO
Nicky

No comments:

Post a Comment